Sunday 11 December 2011

Sunday evening

Have just about caught up with myself. Thursday was full of domestic crises but in between I managed to get to London for lunch with my most erudite and charming friend, followed by an event hosted by ICAS and BDO on principles-based accounting standards. I was distinctly underwhelmed by the head of the IASB who said that the IASB doesn't know who its audience is but that doesn't matter because there is only a single economic reality. I thought that standards were an attempt to reconcile different economic realities. I strongly suspected that he didn't know what he was talking about - I assume that he got the job because he is politically adept but I do wonder what David Tweedie might think about his successor. Later I had an interesting chat with two institutional investors who bemoaned the demise of the prudence principle and the notion of stewardship. If that's the approach to financial reporting that investors want, the IASB seems to be way off beam.

No chance to sort out revisions to book chapters, lots of emails to deal with. The LinkedIn discussions about board gender diversity are beginning to irritate me - too many consultants who think that correlation implies causation. I've posted a list of papers selected from my literature search but I doubt whether any of them will bother to read them. If your livelihood depends on trying to promote female appointments, you're not likely to be very open-minded about academic research which raises questions about the consequences, are you?

The highlight of the coming week may be the interviews for the post doc posts, we've had two very good applications and I'm looking forward to meeting the candidates.

No comments:

Post a Comment