Friday 30 December 2011

The final Friday of 2011

The lovely quiet bit of the year when email traffic virtually disappears and there is space for catching up - if every month had a few days like this, I would have space for all the projects I'd really like to get on with...

I'm struggling with chapter 5 which was originally written chronologically but doesn't read well so I've tried to reorganise it thematically. This is not working out for two reasons. Firstly, as my co-author has yet to produce chapter 4 I have no idea how that is organised and it would make sense to pick up on the themes she has identified. Secondly, the themes overlap so it is very difficult to classify specific issues under a single heading. I think I shall revert to the chronological approach but spend more time highlighting the themes running through.

I was alerted to a paper on the history of corporate governance recently uploaded to SSRN by a Cambridge legal scholar. I emailed him to let him know of the earliest use of the term which I had discovered, which predated the ones he mentioned. He replied very quickly but was somewhat dismissive, which is not surprising - he struck me as a bit arrogant when I met him. Had he been more receptive, I would have sent him the actual paper but I shall leave him to seek it out from the reference. He claims to have been more welcoming to Cadbury than other legal scholars which may be true but he didn't publish his book until 1997 so I don't think he'll get a mention.

I have been reading Maja's DPhil dissertation which is fascinating and really should be published. She has read a huge amount of literature, across different disciplines. As I was reading, I found myself noting down authors I thought relevant to her arguments - and then turning the page to find that she'd cited them. And I now have a long list of interesting references that I want to follow up, always a good sign of something that was worth reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment