Monday 10 June 2013

Presidents and posh meals...

My plan to write a paper about the role of dinners in the City is still in my mind, especially after attending the incoming ICAEW President's lunch last Wednesday, a jolly affair with pleasant food and drink and quite good speeches. See
http://www.icaew.com/en/about-icaew/newsroom/press-releases/2013-press-releases/incoming-presidents-speech
Only one lady was wearing a hat but there was a toastmaster and quite a few chains of office clanking about. Those attending were provided with a booklet containing menu (lots of details about the champagne and wine), table plan and list of attendees, presumably to facilitate networking. I wonder who constructs the table plan for these occasions. I was seated between a senior member of the Learning and Professional Development department, from whom learnt some interesting things about future plans, and the corporate governance manager who I know quite well. I would have liked to chat to the journalist across the table but the noise and my poor hearing militated against it.

The rest of the day was spent at Chartered Accountants Hall, doing an interview for our public sector NED research study (in a little meeting room on the mysterious floor 6.5) and a NED SIG event in the evening about internal audit.(in the restaurant where the aircon was so fierce my teeth chattered)  Very good presentation by Paul Boyle, now chief IA at Aviva: I think he will have some interesting things to say when my PhD student interviews him.

CAH is a splendid building - there are some pictures here: http://www.icaew.com/~/media/Files/Library/subjects/accounting-history/cah-presentation.pdf

- but it can be too hot or too cold. Although the Main Reception Room is stunning it's really hard to have a conversation in there. And the concrete environment of the Great Hall is a bit off-putting - there are no pictures of it at that link.

Thursday was a day of meetings, not all very successful in terms of outcome. There are some issues about how to code the data for the charities project. And I'm glad that I won't have to attend PDRs any more when I stop being Research Lead at the end of August.

Today students' exam results have been released and I can already see some queries in my inbox. There is also a request from a Publishing student to complete a questionnaire. The first question would require an essay, I think: "Can you please explain the publishing process as you understand it and the responsibilities and duties of publishers?"

LinkedIn has started sending me alerts about jobs that might suit me. As the search term they are using must be governance, it's throwing up some interesting things which reinforce my idea that the word is being misused. Royal Mail are looking for a "Governance Gating and Compliance Analyst": I wonder what "gating" means in that context?

No comments:

Post a Comment