Thursday 23 May 2013

A reading day?



Will I manage to devote time today to catching up with the reading piled on my desk? It's 8.45 am and my inbox contains just a few outstanding items with no deadlines. My marking is done but most of my colleagues are still embroiled in marking exam scripts so they have no time to send emails. Why is the annual timetable constructed so oddly? Marking student assessments is an activity of such great significance that you'd expect it be accorded adequate time: instead we are forced to comply with completely unrealistic deadlines which allow little time for reflection or, possibly more importantly, moderation which ensures standardisation across marking teams. Wouldn't it make more sense to ensure that every marking deadline falls at least two weeks after the date of the examination? After more than a quarter of a century working here, I still don't understand who makes decisions about this or many other issues to do with the structure and processes of the university. Or the rationale on which the decisions are taken. Changes like restructuring seem to happen on a whim, no analysis of costs or benefits is produced and no objective review of the impact is undertaken.

On Tuesday I visited Another University where they appointed me visiting professor last year. It was a great pleasure to go to their splendidly situated campus and to learn about how they are building a research culture in accounting and finance. It seems much more supportive than ours, with a higher level of trust in colleagues to get on with research without the heavily bureaucratic system we have. I shall enjoy working with them. Of course, they have many of the problems that we face, particularly around leadership and management. Another strange paradox: business schools are full of academics researching management problems but are almost invariably badly managed. I suggested to our previous dean that he might like to read Chris Grey's "A Very Short Fairly Interesting and Reasonably Cheap Book About Studying Organizations": to my surprise, he did so and thanked me. But he left soon afterwards so we didn't benefit from the insights he said he'd found in it.

Yesterday morning was mostly taken up with following up issues from Tuesday's visit, including passing on an invitation to present a paper to one of my colleagues who is studying banks, who would benefit greatly from making contact with people at Another University with similar interests. I also needed to deal with messages needing a swift reply, from the editors of the two journals whose editorial boards I sit on, and I was also asked to read an outline funding proposal. This was about mergers and acquisitions, outside my comfort zone, but I had some reservations about the quality of the proposal so sought advice from a colleague who is an expert in the area. His very helpful and speedy response enabled me to feed back some comments very quickly. While I'm aware of the email burden many colleagues wrestle with, it makes my life very much easier when people respond quickly and I try very hard to do the same. Which is partly why all this stuff gets in the way....

Very pleasant lunch at pub with good friend who is now in a senior management position and patiently listened to my rants. Then a meeting of the Faculty grants panel, at which I think I talked far too much. But that will be my last meeting as the next research lead will attend in future. I wonder who that will be.

Today's planned reading;

1. "Fund Manager Self- Belief: Sensemaking and story telling" - this paper was beautifully presented at the BAFA conference and I was fascinated by the approach and talked to the presenter afterwards and promised some comments but I haven't yet had time to read it properly.
2"Who Cares? Corporate Governance in today's equity markets" an OECD working paper which arrived some time ago.

After that, I need to listen to the interview recordings accumulated so far on the project we're doing for ICAS, which will probably take the rest of the day

No comments:

Post a Comment