Tuesday 28 May 2013

A new week...

.. but only four working days because of the bank holiday. Managed to resist doing any work over the weekend but am now faced with the need to prioritise. First task will be to provide a letter of support for the regrading of the journal. Then I need to email colleagues about items discussed at Friday's research lead meeting. After that I have a pile of papers to read for tomorrow's ICAEW research advisory board meeting. When that's done I can start on proofreading the book index. After lunch, I need to go into work for a meeting and to clear my desk for next week's office move, back to the tiny room I started out in nearly 27 years ago: I think this is my 11th move in that time.

This morning's email contains a request to review a research proposal for a Belgian funding body. The application is from a Belgian academic who I know and the topic - the impact of gender-diverse boards under different regulatory regimes - sounds interesting but it will probably take half a day's work.

And a Google Scholar alert has directed me to a very interesting paper in press at Critical Perspectives on Accounting, a reflective piece by a US academic on the challenges of building a research career which addresses practical problems rather than purely focusing on the US accounting research paradigm. My work is cited in a footnote!

Over the weekend watched "Footnote", an excellent Israeli film set in a very competitive academic environment - glad I'm not a philologist!

http://www.tabletmag.com/jewish-arts-and-culture/92817/prize-fighters

No comments:

Post a Comment