Monday 6 June 2016

BHS

I am saddened by the demise of BHS. I feel so sorry for all the employees and pensioners whose lives have been turned upside down by greedy asset strippers.

My mum always said their tights were better than any others. We had two close family friends who were BHS store managers, from the1950s through to the 1970s and they said it was a great company to work for: at one time long-serving managers got sabbaticals - imagine that!

On the audit team there in 1967, I was alone one lunchtime when the chief accountant appeared. "Where are the lads?" he asked. "They're all at lunch but can I help you?" I replied. He grinned as if I'd said something rather funny and turned away, saying "I'll pop back later." "I'm the most senior person here today", I added. He turned back: the grin had been replaced by a look of astonishment, tinged with horror. "They sent a girl?" He vanished, muttering. I was, by that point in my training, used to far more offensive reactions from clients. To my astonishment, he returned later and apologised. He had phoned the firm to check up on me. He confessed that he had been surprised to discover that the firm employed female articled clerks but he thought it was a very good idea and we had a pleasant conversation.

Many years later I had the great pleasure of interviewing Denis Cassidy, BHS chairman and CEO in the 1980s, for a research study. He was a charming man but I think his experience at BHS in the Storehouse days had been frustrating and he talked much more about his other corporate roles.

Retailing is a cut-throat business these days. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see other long-established high street names going to the wall...


No comments:

Post a Comment